Redwolf wrote:
The only concept the Irish had for what we call "mermen" and "mermaids" were seals that turned into humans. The human with a fish's tail is a foreign concept that came along later.
Well, that sounds pretty interesting. Where can I find out about this? I've read a few old reports of mermaids with dolphin-like tails off the coast of Scotland.
Redwolf wrote:
Her thesis was actually on the merrow/selkie legends. I'd give her more credence than anything from Wikipedia.
I don't know your friend and I haven't read her thesis; I also don't know who posted all of that information on Wikipedia, so it's hard for me know which source is more reliable, but I'd like to find out more about this. Everything that I've ever read and every person that I've talked to on the subject (all 2 of them - ha, ha) say that merrows are mermaids and mermen - of course, that doesn't mean that it's true, that's just the information that I've come across, so far.
Redwolf wrote:
In the Donegal song "An Mhaighdean Mhara," the woman is a merrow/selkie who changes (permanently) back into her seal form at the touch of salt water. The back story for the song (which is pretty well-established) is that she jumped into the water to save her little girl from drowning, and thus was forced to go back to the sea.
The versions that I'm familiar with more closely match the one in the movie (The Secret of Roan Inish), but I know that there are lots of variations to this story. It is my understanding that the selkie needs it's seal skin to revert to seal form.
Redwolf wrote:
The concept of "a mermaid" as a woman with the tail of a fish is a foreign one to Ireland. When Irish legends and songs speak of merrows, it's the seal people to whom they are referring.
Yes, I saw that on your previous post. I will look for more information about this. Where can I find out about this? So far, I haven't run across any information that refers to a merrow,
murúch, or
muruach as anything other than a mermaid or merman – I'll keep looking …