It is currently Wed 07 Oct 2026 10:42 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Please try not to be upset, Saoirse and Redwolf. :(

I'm sure that patrickjwalsh's "child abuse" comment was hyperbole; he didn't mean that "Urban" Irish is literally child abuse.

I think it was a tongue-in-cheek comment that was meant to show his personal dislike for "Urban" Irish and was not meant to be taken literally.


I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that. To be perfectly honest, I doubt it.

He chose to use the term, let him defend it. Or apologize for it. It is not a neutral term, and if he didn't understand that before, I sincerely hope he does now.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 1:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Redwolf wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that.
Well, I'm certainly not trying to sell (i.e., convince you of) anything – hrumph.

I just thought that it was not a literal comment that was meant to be taken seriously – surely nobody would seriously compare child abuse to "Urban" Irish, right?

Oh well, as you mentioned in your last post, I'm not the guy who actually said it – I was just giving you my personal take on it and trying to hopefully calm things down a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that.
Well, I'm certainly not trying to sell (i.e., convince you of) anything – hrumph.

I just thought that it was not a literal comment that was meant to be taken seriously – surely nobody would seriously compare child abuse to "Urban" Irish, right?

Oh well, as you mentioned in your last post, I'm not the guy who actually said it – I was just giving you my personal take on it and trying to hopefully calm things down a bit.


You know what? When you've been involved with this group for as long as I have (10 years, in January!), you're no longer surprised by what people "mean." Most of the people who love and promote this language are good people, and occasionally people put their foots in their mouths, but there are some real assholes out there as well. Personally, I have zero tolerance for anyone who would accuse users of "Urban Irish" of "child abuse."

As I said, he said those words. If he doesn't understand what "child abuse" really means, I can give him an earful (Jesus...I wish I couldn't!). He can explain or apologize, but the words were said, and at least two people...Irish speakers and parents who know what child abuse means... were offended by them. If he didn't mean it, he bloody well needs to fix it.

Not blaming you, but let's let the person who actually made that accusation defend it (or not).

Not. Fucking. Acceptable.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Fortunately, patrickjwalsh, Saoirse, and Redwolf love the Irish language and want to do what they can to encourage its use – that's what matters, I think.


I agree.
Love of the language is what's important.
For obvious reasons I'd prefer original Irish dialects to be to the fore too. Especially in Irish schools. I think Urban Irish is a misunderstood term, and a contentious one. Sorry I if was the one who first mentioned it.

Patrick, I know you didn't mean child abuse literally, but it is a bit offensive.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
I couldn't imagine he actually meant it was child abuse or anything near it in any meaningful way, sometimes i hear people here use the term child abuse for much more benign acts, e.g. not buying your daughter a ice cream when you pass the ice cream shop and she gets visibly upset. I often hear it used in that manner.

As for children's partys in native Irish, they do exist in the Gaeltacht, brought my daughter to one recently.

Even if the Irish isint perfect, I still think it far better that people go out and use what they have, rather than not have any events through Irish. The only negative is that a heavily anglicized version of the language is often seen as the norm, as its what people heard from teachers and some (not all) speakers of this Irish don't see any need to improve or adopt a more native way of talking .

If people make the effort to get out and others make the effort to encourage natural Irish then there is potential for improvement. But if people stay at home because their Irish isnt perfect and native speakers stay away cause the quality of Irish is low, then it will never improve.

_________________
Bíonn rudaí maithe mall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Dáithí Mac Giolla. wrote:
I couldn't imagine he actually meant it was child abuse or anything near it in any meaningful way, sometimes i hear people here use the term child abuse for much more benign acts, e.g. not buying your daughter a ice cream when you pass the ice cream shop and she gets visibly upset. I often hear it used in that manner.

As for children's partys in native Irish, they do exist in the Gaeltacht, brought my daughter to one recently.

Even if the Irish isint perfect, I still think it far better that people go out and use what they have, rather than not have any events through Irish. The only negative is that a heavily anglicized version of the language is often seen as the norm, as its what people heard from teachers and some (not all) speakers of this Irish don't see any need to improve or adopt a more native way of talking .

If people make the effort to get out and others make the effort to encourage natural Irish then there is potential for improvement. But if people stay at home because their Irish isnt perfect and native speakers stay away cause the quality of Irish is low, then it will never improve.


:yes:


I've never had a party for me, as a child or adult. :cry:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
Never ? not even a birthday party as a kid?

_________________
Bíonn rudaí maithe mall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Dáithí Mac Giolla. wrote:
Never ? not even a birthday party as a kid?


In my day people didn't do that in Conamara (maybe the buicíní did alright).
When my mother was young people rarely celebrated birthdays at all.

It's normal practice for todays Gaeltacht kids.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Dáithí Mac Giolla. wrote:
The only negative is that a heavily anglicized version of the language is often seen as the norm, as its what people heard from teachers and some (not all) speakers of this Irish don't see any need to improve or adopt a more native way of talking .
That's exactly the problem that was mentioned in the child "abuse" post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Dáithí Mac Giolla. wrote:
The only negative is that a heavily anglicized version of the language is often seen as the norm, as its what people heard from teachers and some (not all) speakers of this Irish don't see any need to improve or adopt a more native way of talking .


That is my definition of Urban Irish too.

Urban Irish is not just non-Native Irish. I know a lot people with learned Irish that is better than my own. It is that anglicized Irish with bad grammar and pronunciation from people who make no effort to improve it. And often look down on more correct Irish. Neither Saoirse or Redwolf are in that category.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1009 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group