Féabar wrote:
Last summer I got a real bad sore throat and I've learned if it is viral you can just slightly gargle with Hydrogen Peroxide and
it usually is gone the next day. (My son says this is very dangerous and is highly carcinogenic but I do it anyway cuz it works so well). He's often a little weird and extreme about this sort of stuff so I ignore him. Anyway, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to find this in Ireland. I ended up driving about 30 miles in one night to an all night pharmacy (chemist) up in Donegal. This is something that is available EVERYWHERE in the USA. I mean at petrol stations, quickie marts, grocery stores, and a million other places. It is about one dollar for a big jug. We use it for cuts, scrapes, mouth sores, all sorts of things. In Ireland it was like it was a controlled substance or something and it seems like it cost me over 5 euros for a tiny bottle. Sort of like Redwolf's benedryl experience.
The weird thing was, I saw Benedryl (brand) all over the place, but it was all the "non-sleepy" variety. As it happened, I had a really bad allergic reaction to something in Clare (which, fortunately, was NOT growing in Donegal), and used up pretty much all my little bottle of diphenhydramine. I guess it just goes to show that if there's a medication you really depend on, even if it seems pretty ubiquitous in your home country, be sure you can also get it where you're going!
On the flip side, when we were in Colombia, we could buy all kinds of things in regular pharmacies that are very regulated here, including mood elevators (old-school antidepressants) and pretty heavy-duty sedatives!
Another difference I encountered in Ireland was sandwiches. In the U.S., sandwiches (other than Subway-style places) typically come with certain ingredients by default (a restaurant will usually say on a sign or on the menu what comes standard on any sandwich, but usually it will be something like mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and cheese, plus whatever additional filling you may order, such as meat or additional cheese). If you don't want any of those ingredients, you need to let your server know. I don't know if this is the case everywhere in Ireland, but it seemed that in most of the places where I ate, the opposite was true, which I found interesting.
I enjoy these differences between places, by the way, lest anyone think I'm complaining! They're part of what makes travel fun (so long as you don't forget to pack enough medication!)
Redwolf
BTW, I enjoy these differences between places