It is currently Sat 10 Oct 2026 6:20 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 12:24 am
Posts: 114
Location: Éire
Listen to a few sound files and see what dialect you like the best, heres some examples of native speakers from the Gaeltacht.

Conamara Irish: (Connacht Irish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3-Z8U6WxVw

Conamara has the biggest Irish speaking territory in the country and far by the most vibrant Gaeltacht in my experience.

Donegal Irish (Ulster Irish), this would be the second biggest Gaeltacht in the country:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBgKAq9fPl0

Kerry Irish (Munster Irish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0L0TrdowQ
The sports commentator speaks Irish from Corca Dhuibhne.

The interviewer speaks Conamara Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 3:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Grma a Bhen ar son na videonnaí sin, cha rabh's agam CU Burn :) Tá sé deas Gaeilg nádúrtha Thír Chonaill a chluinstean :) Tchím go bhfuil mé giota beag as cleachtadh nó cha dtuigim achan rud :(

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Thanks for the videos. So in the third one the interviewer speaks Conamara Irish while the other man speaks Kerry Irish, right? Hmm... It might be just the way these particular people speak but it seems to me like the Kerry Irish sounds "clearer", like... the words would be easier to understand if I knew Irish, while Conamara Irish seems to sound more complex, although I might be wrong because I have no idea. But anyway, because I lived in Galway and I like Conamara (beautiful National Park, btw), and because it's kind of in the middle, I think I'd go for the Conamara Irish, yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Also, Conamara is like the "epicenter" of seán nos singing, right? That's also important for me, because I like it and it would be great if I could understand the songs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
This must be Conamara Irish, it sounds great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_m9xd40yU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Although I now realize my favourite seán nos singers, Neill Ní Chróinín and Iarla Ó Lionáird, speak Munster Irish... damn... I'm not so sure of my decision now.. :darklaugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Yes that's Connemara Irish :)

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
Mediterranean wrote:
So in the third one the interviewer speaks Conamara Irish while the other man speaks Kerry Irish, right? Hmm... It might be just the way these particular people speak but it seems to me like the Kerry Irish sounds "clearer"

From what little I've heard of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh, that's the way he speaks in English as well: very deliberate and unhurried. (At least in interviews; his sports commentating is a different story altogether.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Aye, I don't think there are clearer dialects, it only depends on the person who's speaking. I heard people from Munster, Connemara and Donegal who speak very clearly, and others that are very hard to understand.

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Oh ok, I see, thanks for the clarifications. ;) Then I think I'll go for the Connacht Irish if it's possible. Do you know any good free websites (with audio files if possible) to start learning from scratch? If that's not possible and I need a book then I guess I'll have to buy it, even though my economy is not great at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 737 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group