It is currently Sun 11 Oct 2026 6:45 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
Very Interesting. I had noticed Breton sounded like French, but I thought it was just the majority language influence (like urban-Irish :D ).


no, it's just because of the set of sounds, in my opinion, the u-sound and the throat r (although in many dialects old people use an Irish r) especially. But many French people say Breton sounds like German or like other languages, just because of the throat r and the "broad ch" sound. Now, most non-native speakers of Breton pronounce Breton as if it were French, and that's those speakers you hear in the media, unfortunately, not native speakers (or very few and only in certain programs)

Quote:
But imagine for a moment Breton were spoken also in England, or on an island belonging to England. Do you think it would sound like the Breton spoken in France? No, I'm sure it would sound anglicized.


well, Cornish is quite close to Breton ; Cornish died and has been revived, now I think most speakers use an English r so Revived Cornish sounds a bit like English, but when it was spoken by native speakers it would rather sound like Breton, I think.

Quote:
It's like Corsican, that language is similar to Italian, it should sound similar to Italian but it doesn't, it sounds frenchized because it belongs to France. It's an unstoppable phenomenon because the State controls the media and controls everything.


concerning Corsican, it depends on the person. If they use a French r, it sounds a bit like French, but I think most people use an Italian r and then it sounds like Italian, with a different prosody. I don't know how many Corsicans use the French r, but almost all Corsicans I heard use the Italian one, and their Corsican doesn't sound like French at all. Anyway Corsicans have a very distinctive accent when speaking French.


Concerning the Catalan ll sound, as said before, it exists in Irish, it's the sound of the double slender L, which is a non-lenited initial L-, and a slender ll at the middle or at the end of a word (and in some consonant clusters like slender rl, etc). That sound is written [ʎ] in the IPA.
It's good if you can pronounce it because many learners can't pronounce it or put it everywhere there's a slender l, typically learners use that sound in "baile" and "abhaile" while it's wrong, in these words it's a single slender l, ie. a slightly palatalised l sound.

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Lughaidh wrote:
Concerning the Catalan ll sound, as said before, it exists in Irish, it's the sound of the double slender L, which is a non-lenited initial L-, and a slender ll at the middle or at the end of a word (and in some consonant clusters like slender rl, etc). That sound is written [ʎ] in the IPA.
It's good if you can pronounce it because many learners can't pronounce it or put it everywhere there's a slender l, typically learners use that sound in "baile" and "abhaile" while it's wrong, in these words it's a single slender l, ie. a slightly palatalised l sound.

This is more for me to learn, but I would have thought the Catalan double l was further back in the mouth, being palatal where as the Irish double slender l is alveo-palatal. I'm probably making a silly mistake here though!

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
I admit I've only heard Corsican on a few YouTube videos so you're probably right. :LOL:

Aha! So this ll sound does exist in Irish. I was almost sure I had heard it. For example, I think I can hear it here in this audio file that An Lon Dubh posted: http://ca.forvo.com/word/leoithne/ Am I hearing it right? He said:

Quote:
Leoithne
Achtáil
Lóma

The first word starts with a unlenited slender l.
The second one has lenited slender l.
The third word starts with a unlenited broad l.

And you say:

Quote:
it's the sound of the double slender L, which is a non-lenited initial L-

The info matches, right? So I guess I got it right.

Quote:
It's good if you can pronounce it because many learners can't pronounce it or put it everywhere there's a slender l, typically learners use that sound in "baile" and "abhaile" while it's wrong, in these words it's a single slender l, ie. a slightly palatalised l sound.

Yeah, I guess I'm lucky. But I'm still so confused with all this information, double slender unlenited l... uff... it sounds very complicated. Actually I don't even know what "lenited" means, maybe if I knew that it would make more sense to me...


Last edited by Mediterranean on Mon 18 Mar 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Mediterranean wrote:
Aha! So this ll sound does exist in Irish. I was almost sure I had heard it. For example, I think I can hear it here in this audio file that An Lon Dubh posted: http://ca.forvo.com/word/leoithne/ Am I hearing it right? He said:

The info matches, right? So I guess I got right.

Yeah you did!! It isn't further back then, that's my inaccurate ears! :D

Quote:
But I'm still so confused with all this information, double slender unlenited l... uff... it sounds very complicated. Actually I don't even know what "lenited" means, maybe if I knew that it would make more sense to me...

Lenition is something that happens to the first consonant of words in certain grammatical situations.
Here you listen to the word gá meaning need:
gá

Here you have a ghá, meaning his need:
a ghá

So the sound of the g changes because of the possessive pronoun a = his.

You usually write h directly after the letter to show this. It's not an actual h though, just a way of marking this change. Another
way, not as common today, of conveying it was to put a dot above the letter.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Oooh, ok, I had heard about this before, of course! I didn't remember it was called lenition. Like croí ---> mo chroí, right? But in this case (leoithne), why doesn't the l have a h after it if it's lenited? And also, why is it called double slender l?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Mediterranean wrote:
Oooh, ok, I had heard about this before, of course! I didn't remember it was called lenition. Like croí ---> mo chroí, right?

Yes exactly!

Mediterranean wrote:
But in this case (leoithne), why doesn't the l have a h after it if it's lenited?

No real reason in a sense, just historical convention. There's probably a reason why, but I don't know it myself.

Mediterranean wrote:
And also, why is it called double slender l?

This is because sometimes, especially when not at the start of words the two sounds are distinguished by being written
l and ll.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Quote:
This is because sometimes, especially when not at the start of words the two sounds are distinguished by being written
l and ll.

:O Then, if I understand it right, it's just like in Catalan, isn't it? Our ll being ll in Irish most of the time and the l being like a "normal l". Right? :O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
There's a broad and slender version of both l and ll. Your ll is the slender version of Irish ll. I'm not sure which of the two Irish l's your l is closer to.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
Catalan has a velar l (i.e. IPA [ɫ]) in most positions, even word-initially. That would make it most similar to broad single Irish l, I would think. (I'm hazy on the precise differences between lenis and fortis sonorants in Irish, as the variety I speak doesn't have them.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Mediterranean wrote:
I got an email telling me that I got a private message here but when I go to read it I can't, it says: We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.


:/
Now you can check out your private messages - you have posted ten times! :clap:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1086 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group