It is currently Sat 10 Oct 2026 3:40 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Words Spoken at Funerals
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 12 Aug 2012 6:36 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Florida, USA
Hello all. I was wondering if, besides Scripture verses, there were certain Gaelic expressions more commonly said at funerals. Thanks. (The writer's brain is always working.)

_________________
Suzanne D. Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother with a penchant for spelling things and an Irishman somewhere way back in her background.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Ní maith liom do thrioblóid "I am sorry for your trouble", literally "I don't like your trouble", is a common expression of condolence in Irish.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
The most common formula I've heard for condolences is Ar dheis Dé go raibh a (h)anam. "May her/his soul be at God's right hand." (A hanam for a departed woman, a anam for a man.) Often dílis "faithful" or uasal "noble" is added after (h)anam.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Domhnaillín Breac wrote:
The most common formula I've heard for condolences is Ar dheis Dé go raibh a (h)anam. "May her/his soul be at God's right hand." (A hanam for a departed woman, a anam for a man.) Often dílis "faithful" or uasal "noble" is added after (h)anam.

That's often used in writing at the end of obituaries, etc., but I am not sure it is used when expressing your condolences directly to the family.

"Ní maith liom do thrioblóid" is said to the family of the diseased at a funeral or wake. There may be other expressions as well in other parts ...

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 12 Aug 2012 6:36 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Florida, USA
What if the family was expressing their grief? Say a husband for a wife or vice versa.

_________________
Suzanne D. Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother with a penchant for spelling things and an Irishman somewhere way back in her background.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Breandán wrote:

"Ní maith liom do thrioblóid" is said to the family of the diseased at a funeral or wake. There may be other expressions as well in other parts ...


Yes, that is what we say in Conamara when speaking to the mourners.

Talking about the dead to another person one might say -
go ndéana Dia trócaire air/uirthi
go ndéana Dia grásta air/uirthi

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013 2:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
Breandán wrote:
Domhnaillín Breac wrote:
The most common formula I've heard for condolences is Ar dheis Dé go raibh a (h)anam. "May her/his soul be at God's right hand." (A hanam for a departed woman, a anam for a man.) Often dílis "faithful" or uasal "noble" is added after (h)anam.

That's often used in writing at the end of obituaries, etc., but I am not sure it is used when expressing your condolences directly to the family.

I've seen it used on social networking sites (e.g. Facebook), which generally feature a more conversational register than you would find in a printed obituary. YMMV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013 3:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
I also learnt "ní maith liom do bhris" (if I remember well).

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
I have "Is olc liom do bhris" in my notes also.

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 1:45 am
Posts: 267
I can't think of any particular a family would use in expressing their grief. All of the foregoing are good for speaking to the bereaved however


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 461 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group