asenion wrote:
Okay, new to Irish here. Anyhow, when using the progressive tense and speaking about doing something to a thing which is a brand/product name, do you just lenite the product name after the verbal noun like with a person's name or is something else done? For instance,
1. Tá mé ag ceannach Mhac Mini anois. = I am buying a Mac Mini now.
2. Tá mé ag ithe Twinkie. =? I am eating a Twinkie. <-- No lenition with "Tw-"??
3. Tá mé ag ithe Snickers. =? I am eating a Snickers (candy bar). <-- No lenition with "Sn-"??
4. Tá mé ag ól Shamrock Shake. =? I am drinking a Shamrock Shake (from McDonald's). <-- No lenition with "Sh-"??
Also, how do you specify a quantity with these? Do you just insert the number between the verbal noun and the product name (eclipsing or leniting as needed) or is the grammar totally different? For instance,
1. Tá mé ag ceannach dhá Mhac Mini anois. = I am buying two Mac Minis now.
2. Tá mé ag ithe dhá Twinkie. =? I am eating two Twinkies.
3. Tá mé ag ithe dhá Snickers. =? I am eating two Snickers.
4. Tá mé ag ól dhá Shamrock Shake. =? I am drinking two Shamrock Shakes (from McDonald's).
Thanks in advance and sorry for the Shamrock Shake example. I was lame enough to actually try one at McDonald's yesterday since I haven't had one in over six years and everyone on Facebook was posting about getting their "Shamrock Shake on" for St. Patrick's Day. Hehehehe. Sadly, this also spurred the question about the genitive forms of these things with the progressive tense.

Bear with me, my lack of grammatical terminology will show

.
Firstly, present participle forms are being used here (thank you Google

). "ag ithe". Eating. This does not cause lenition, but it does cause the following word (food in this case).
Before I speak about these forms, I must point out that all your examples use English words (which is absolutely fine, btw), but the convention is that foreign words are not generally modified in any way.
OK. Let's see an example. I'm eating chocolate.
Táim/Tá mé ag ithe seacláideseacláid is modified to be the genitive singular form.
So the form would be "Táim/Tá mé ag ithe x" where x is put in the genitive form (be it genitive singular or plural as necessary).
Having said all that, I tend to prefer phrasing my sentences like this. I wouldn't call the above way Béarlachas, but I definitely prefer this way.
Tá x á ithe/á ól/á dhéanamh agam I am eating/drinking/doing x. As you can see, á modifies the verbs here. I know the forms natuarally, sadly, I don't know what the rule is! Someone else can help you, though.
Hope this helps! Others, feel free to criticise my post!
