It is currently Tue 06 Oct 2026 10:16 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2013 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
seamusoneill wrote:
Interesting topic and a very interesting forum. Surprisingly, I just happened to wander onto the forum while surfing the web only to find a discussion of my work of more than 10 years. The Irish language is of great interest to me as I have taught the Gaeilge for over forty years to children, teachers and parents. In that time I have't seen the revival of Irish nor have I seen its extinction either. I have however, seen Irish change because the world in which we live has changed and it's constantly changing only at a greater rate than ever. Changes that have impacted on the Irish language are technology, immigration, emigration, the status of Irish in the EU, the growth of Gaelscoileanna and the cost of maintaining support for Irish when our government is cutting funding on vital services.

Tá ard-mheas agam ar an nGaeilge. Labhraím í. Scríobhaim í. Léim í. Múinim í. Ach ní chainteoir ó dhúchais mé. Ba mhinic dom nuair a bhí mé i mo mhac léinn, saoire a chaitheamh i gCorcha Dhuibhne nó i gConnamara agus bhain mé an-taitneamh agus an-tairfe as bheith ann. Dá mbarr tá líofacht agam ach is léir do chách nach cainteoir ó dhúchais mé - rud is fíor do mhormhór múinteoirí. I rith na blianta, ní raibh comhalta múinteoir ón nGaeltacht ag obair liom. Is gá do chainteoirí ó dhúchais a admháil go bhfuil tromlach na Gaeilge á labhairt taobh amuigh den Ghaeltacht. Tá Gaeilge na Gaeltachta an-tabhacht ach más mian linn an Ghaeilge a chaomhnú is gá dúinn obair le chéile. . . "Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid."

I guess I have as much a right (and obligation) as anyone, to teach my Irish to Russians, Poles, Lithuanians, Africans, Americans, English, Northern Irish etc. etc. who never learned Irish before and whose main interest in Irish is that their children attend school in Ireland. What's more, we have an obligation to be as creative and imaginative as possible to ensure that, above all they have a positive experience of Irish (and not have too high an expectation that they will emulate native speakers.)


'Sé do bheatha anso a Sheamuis, a charaid. Thá súil agam go bhfeicimíd thú air an bhfóram so as so amach leis! Chímse go bhfuilir a' gabhailt do'n mhúinteoireacht air feadh dhá fhichead de bhliadhntaibh, nínim fhéineach ach air thosach an bhóthair san :). Aontaím le formhór do chuid cainnte go gcaithimídne ' bheith fé'n sgáth chéanna agus sinn dh'iarraidh an Ghaoidhealuinn, ní hamháin a chaomhnughadh, ach í do chur chun cinn. Is léir go labhartar neart Gaoluinne lasmuigh dos na Gaoidhealtachtaíbh agus go nglacaid na daoine san páirt fíoghar-ghníomhach ins an athbheochaint. Ach ní mór dh'admháil leis go bhfuil foghruidheacht is comhréir na Gaoidhealuinne san bunaithe air nósanna an Bhéarla, ach ní mar san i ngach cás.

Le cur le sin caithimíd lan-stad do chur air chaighdeánughadh shaothar na gcainnteoirighe dúchais agus le dí-mhaoiniughadh Ghaoluinn na Gaeltachta i gcásannaibh fhoirmeáilte agus ach(mh)ainní de Ghaoluinn dhúchasach do chur air fáil d'fhoghlaimeoiríbh.

Ní cainnteoir ó dhúchas mé ach an oiread, bímís de shíor air thóir na líofachta.

Is maith an fhoinse a chuirir air fáil, maith thú!

Crossed with Saoirse

Cian

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2013 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
seamusoneill wrote:
What's more, we have an obligation to be as creative and imaginative as possible to ensure that, above all they have a positive experience of Irish (and not have too high an expectation that they will emulate native speakers.)

I think emulating native speakers is a good thing. If you were to learn Spanish or French, for example, do you think it would be a good idea to try to pronounce the words as much like a fluent native speaker as possible?

I'm learning Irish on my own, but I still try my best to say everything like a native speaker. And if I were fortunate enough to have a teacher someday, I would hope that they'd have a very high expectation of me to learn to pronounce Irish words like a native speaker. I personally think that learning fluent native pronunciation does not detract from having a positive learning experience at all; it's part of the fun of learning a different language. Teaching native pronunciation also shows that you value the language enough to take the time and effort to teach it to the highest standard.


:yes:

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2013 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
:yes: :yes: :yes:

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 02 Sep 2011 11:31 pm
Posts: 249
Location: Navasota, Texas USA
Seamus:

As far as I know, you've done more to bring Irish to as many people as possible than your "arm-chair quarterback" critics on this forum. I know some 20 kids that started with your program because you've made it available free on-line and they can't afford anything else. I appreciate you and I appreciate your love and support of this language. I wish I could do as much for it as you have. You are an inspiration to me.

Go raibh mile maith agat,
Féabar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 07 Sep 2011 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Texas
Aontaím le Féabar

:GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 06 Jul 2013 9:07 am
Posts: 9
Féabar wrote:
Seamus:

As far as I know, you've done more to bring Irish to as many people as possible than your "arm-chair quarterback" critics on this forum. I know some 20 kids that started with your program because you've made it available free on-line and they can't afford anything else. I appreciate you and I appreciate your love and support of this language. I wish I could do as much for it as you have. You are an inspiration to me.

Go raibh mile maith agat,
Féabar


Ah! Faber! Go raibh míle maith agat féin. Thank you for your kind yet undeserved remarks. I guess you're the man from Texas. We spoke by telephone a year or two ago! How is it going with you? Well, I hope. Navan Education Centre, here in Co. Meath has plans to update the 'IS FEIDIR LIOM' web site by the time schools return for the first term in September. It will remain free to all who want to avail of it. Watch out for it. Slan go fóill. Seamus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
seamusoneill wrote:
I guess you're the man from Texas.
WolfhoundJack wrote:
Aontaím le Féabar
:GRMA:
Seamus, you have another fan in Texas! You are quite the international celeb! 8-)

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
seamusoneill wrote:
…your kind yet undeserved remarks.

Yeah, they were kind words for you alright; but he wasn't slow putting in his wee digs for the rest of us – "your "arm-chair quarterback" critics on this forum" :razz:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013 2:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 02 Sep 2011 11:31 pm
Posts: 249
Location: Navasota, Texas USA
WeeFalorieMan: If the shoe fits wear it. Maybe we all (me included) need to remember that our words can hurt or help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is féidir liom
PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Maybe I've been on Facebook too long, but this forum really needs a "like" button.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1706 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group