It is currently Tue 06 Oct 2026 2:14 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
77. Bhuaigh said an corn trí bliana ______ a chéile.
77. Bhuaigh said an corn trí bliana as a chéile.

I am more familiar with 'i ndiaidh a chéile'.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
A Shaoirse, I think you have done a fantastic job with these! 80 looked so daunting. I could never have done it, not knowing what it was supposed to say. Maith thú, a chara!

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Aislingeach wrote:
A Shaoirse, I think you have done a fantastic job with these! 80 looked so daunting. I could never have done it, not knowing what it was supposed to say. Maith thú, a chara!
Not over the line yet, but I can see the finish line! I think it is Scooby who really deserves the credit here. He has shown incredible patience. A few others dropped in from time to time too to give a dig out. :party:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
77. Bhuaigh said an corn trí bliana ______ a chéile.
77. Bhuaigh said an corn trí bliana as a chéile.

I am more familiar with 'i ndiaidh a chéile'.

:good:

Correct except for my typo ['said' should of course be 'siad' - I'm blaming the autocorrect!]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
Saoirse wrote:
Not over the line yet, but I can see the finish line! I think it is Scooby who really deserves the credit here. He has shown incredible patience. A few others dropped in from time to time too to give a dig out. :party:


Aontaím. Scooby gets mad props for patience. :yes:

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 716
Aislingeach wrote:
A Shaoirse, I think you have done a fantastic job with these! 80 looked so daunting. I could never have done it, not knowing what it was supposed to say. Maith thú, a chara!


Typo alert in 80! The first word "Ní" should be "Níl" - which should remove confusion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
['said' should of course be 'siad' - I'm blaming the autocorrect!]
I didn't even notice it!
Scooby wrote:
78. ______ deireadh thiar thall d’éirigh ______ a gceann scribe a bhaint amach.
78. Sa deireadh thiar thall d’éirigh leo a gceann scribe a bhaint amach.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Errigal wrote:
Typo alert in 80! The first word "Ní" should be "Níl" - which should remove confusion.
Thanks for the heads-up! :LOL:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012 2:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
['said' should of course be 'siad' - I'm blaming the autocorrect!]
I didn't even notice it!
Scooby wrote:
78. ______ deireadh thiar thall d’éirigh ______ a gceann scribe a bhaint amach.
78. Sa deireadh thiar thall d’éirigh leo a gceann scribe a bhaint amach.


But you'll have noticed the (deliberate ;)) missing síneadh fada on scríbe???

Interesting! This is of benefit to me too because it makes me revisit my own answers (and typos - including no.80, thanks Errigal, which I had not noticed before)

I had Sa deireadh too, but now I wonder if Ar deireadh might be acceptable too, and then there's Faoi dheireadh which is in FGB (as are the others but in contexts which may not be the same). My question didn't include lenition on deireadh, which may have misled?

Comments from others welcome as to what the best answer is for the above.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
Interesting! This is of benefit to me too because it makes me revisit my own answers (and typos - including no.80, thanks Errigal, which I had not noticed before)
So I'M doing YOU a favour. That's the way I see it too. You're welcome! :twisted:

Scooby wrote:
I had Sa deireadh too, but now I wonder if Ar deireadh might be acceptable too, and then there's Faoi dheireadh which is in FGB (as are the others but in contexts which may not be the same).
Potafocal seems to give all these options too.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1666 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group