It is currently Thu 08 Oct 2026 7:38 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
The thing is, if there was a specific definition, bad speakers wouldn't be able to hide behind the label. In the end, Urban Irish is a pretty vague and non-specific thing....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 622
Redwolf wrote:
If anyone has other specific examples such as this one, especially in Irish, it would be useful to me for the purposes of the article.

The only one I can think of is Des Bishop's "Focal suas!" Fortunately, he meant it as a joke. (He then got into an argument with himself about whether it should be "focal suas" or "focal shuas")

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim fós. Fáilte roimh gach aon cheartúchán.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Gumbi wrote:
I can't say I totally agree with the opinions here. I learnt Irish from my Dad, who, in turn, learnt it in school and college. His grasp of the language is excellent. He has never spoken Irish in a Gaeltacht, and his main influence is his teachers who taught him in college.

His entire grasp of the language is based on a diligence to learn,something which (I think) worked simply because he was invested in it. I spoke Irish before I spoke English. My Irish now is still quite good. I speak it at home with my Dad all the time, and though I spend less time at home now (college), it's still good.

I don't think being detached from the Gaeltacht automatically makes Irish weedy, poor whatever, though it may tend to be so.

It's interesting that you should mention that, Gumbi, because I have a very nice recording here of you before you went away to college with a lovely near-native accent with beautiful native r's (listen to go léir):

http://www.awyr.com/ILF/saewndfaylz/_Gu ... 20week.wma

Fair play to your father for trying to instill you with the right stuff. :good:

After you went away to college, though, there was a definite anglicizing of your r's. Contrast the earlier recording with the one you posted for us here on ILF in this thread (the link is in the fifth post down):

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1150&p=9112

:no: I was more than a little disappointed at how college had ruined your beautiful Irish. If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to regain your awareness of the native sounds, particularly because I know you definitely have it in you to do it properly.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Mick wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
If anyone has other specific examples such as this one, especially in Irish, it would be useful to me for the purposes of the article.

The only one I can think of is Des Bishop's "Focal suas!" Fortunately, he meant it as a joke. (He then got into an argument with himself about whether it should be "focal suas" or "focal shuas")


That was one of the funniest scenes in the series!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Breandán wrote:
Gumbi wrote:
I can't say I totally agree with the opinions here. I learnt Irish from my Dad, who, in turn, learnt it in school and college. His grasp of the language is excellent. He has never spoken Irish in a Gaeltacht, and his main influence is his teachers who taught him in college.

His entire grasp of the language is based on a diligence to learn,something which (I think) worked simply because he was invested in it. I spoke Irish before I spoke English. My Irish now is still quite good. I speak it at home with my Dad all the time, and though I spend less time at home now (college), it's still good.

I don't think being detached from the Gaeltacht automatically makes Irish weedy, poor whatever, though it may tend to be so.

It's interesting that you should mention that, Gumbi, because I have a very nice recording here of you before you went away to college with a lovely near-native accent with beautiful native r's (listen to go léir):

http://www.awyr.com/ILF/saewndfaylz/_Gu ... 20week.wma

Fair play to your father for trying to instill you with the right stuff. :good:

After you went away to college, though, there was a definite anglicizing of your r's. Contrast the earlier recording with the one you posted for us here on ILF in this thread (the link is in the fifth post down):

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1150&p=9112

:no: I was more than a little disappointed at how college had ruined your beautiful Irish. If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to regain your awareness of the native sounds, particularly because I know you definitely have it in you to do it properly.

It's not that I've "lost them" more that I'm less inclined to use them, most probably due to less immersion. It's something I'm aware of, which is one of the reasons i've started posting here again :) I comfort myself with the fact that I have a good base to fall back on if all else fails.

The main problem is lack of immersion; maximally I only have one solid speaker "in range".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Gumbi wrote:
The main problem is lack of immersion; maximally I only have one solid speaker "in range".

Yes, unfortunately peer group pressure is causing a lot of native Gaeltacht children to take on an Urban accent to prevent being ridiculed by their non-native schoolmates. :S


Q: What do you call the theory that a dialect of Irish can be reconstructed from the English accent of people spoken by a particular region?

A: Urban Myth :LOL:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
I don't understand why there are people who claim they speak Glasgow Gaelic without feeling stupid. Everybody knows people don't speak Gaelic in Glasgow area, Glasgow is a Braid Scots-speaking area, and has been for centuries... And in Glasgow they can't use the pathetic excuse Dubliners use ("I'm Irish so I'm a native speaker of Irish and since I'm from Dublin I speak the Dublin dialect of Irish"), because everybody knows Scotland has 2 languages, Braid Scots in the south and east and Gaelic in the Highlands and islands. Only those who don't know anything about Scotland would believe there's a Gaelic dialect of Glasgow...

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
Lughaidh wrote:
I don't understand why there are people who claim they speak Glasgow Gaelic without feeling stupid. Everybody knows people don't speak Gaelic in Glasgow area, Glasgow is a Braid Scots-speaking area, and has been for centuries... And in Glasgow they can't use the pathetic excuse Dubliners use ("I'm Irish so I'm a native speaker of Irish and since I'm from Dublin I speak the Dublin dialect of Irish"), because everybody knows Scotland has 2 languages, Braid Scots in the south and east and Gaelic in the Highlands and islands. Only those who don't know anything about Scotland would believe there's a Gaelic dialect of Glasgow...

It's a little more complicated than that though, because Glasgow is something of an immigrant city -- a look at the local phone book shows a lot of Mcs and Macs (and indeed O's)....

You would be just as well claiming there's no such thing as Dublin English because Dublin was an Irish-speaking city before the establishment of the Pale....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Breandán wrote:
Gumbi wrote:
The main problem is lack of immersion; maximally I only have one solid speaker "in range".

Yes, unfortunately peer group pressure is causing a lot of native Gaeltacht children to take on an Urban accent to prevent being ridiculed by their non-native schoolmates. :S


Q: What do you call the theory that a dialect of Irish can be reconstructed from the English accent of people spoken by a particular region?

A: Urban Myth :LOL:

Options are limited, too. I train 5 times a week, and college takes up a lot of time (especially the last month, projects and exams, both of which I am finished now). But I'm at home for 6 weeks now ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
It's a little more complicated than that though, because Glasgow is something of an immigrant city -- a look at the local phone book shows a lot of Mcs and Macs (and indeed O's)....


it doesn't mean there's a Glasgow dialect of Gaelic. It would be like saying there's a Paris' dialect of Amharic because there are Ethiopian people in Paris.

Quote:
You would be just as well claiming there's no such thing as Dublin English because Dublin was an Irish-speaking city before the establishment of the Pale....


Those who speak Gaelic in Glasgow are either native speakers from other places (Highlands or islands), or people who have learnt Gaelic in classes. So there's no Glasgow dialect of Gaelic. It's as simple as that.

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1036 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group