It is currently Thu 08 Oct 2026 7:37 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 3:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
As you probably know Lughaidh, the synthetic form "amair" is the only form used in Munster. I'd say you'd be lynched if you said bhí muid :LOL: .


I know and that's why I wonder why they chose the ending -amar as the standard ending since nobody says it nowadays (maybe people would say it long ago, but anyway I think it hasn't been the most common spoken form for centuries)

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Well said Cionnfhaolach and Lon Dubh :clap:


Lughaidh wrote:
Let's say, Gaeltacht Irish is a beautiful flower ; standard Irish is a plastic flower (that isn't really like any existing flower) ; Urban Irish is sh*t (well, it's not even sh*t because sh*t is manure that helps flowers or other plants to grow ). Urban Irish is weeds that try to replace the flowers...


:good: :LOL:


Ofcourse not everybody who is raising their children in urban areas has urban Irish. It all depends on how they choose to learn Irish.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 1:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Ofcourse not everybody who is raising their children in urban areas has urban Irish. It all depends on how they choose to learn Irish.

A fact which, if Ireland is anything like Scotland, is all too often hijacked to justify errors.

People keep talking about Glasgow having a new dialect due to the mixing of various dialects of Gaelic, and saying that it's therefore not fair for people to correct "Glasgow Gaelic". Yes, sometimes people incorrectly attempt to correct legitimate dialectal variation, but there's a heck of a lot of "learner Gaelic" hiding behind that defense....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 1:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
But Glasgow Gaelic is only a mixture of several dialects, ie. even though it's not a natural dialect it may be correct, or is it full of mistakes as Urban Irish?

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Lughaidh wrote:
Quote:
As you probably know Lughaidh, the synthetic form "amair" is the only form used in Munster. I'd say you'd be lynched if you said bhí muid :LOL: .


I know and that's why I wonder why they chose the ending -amar as the standard ending since nobody says it nowadays (maybe people would say it long ago, but anyway I think it hasn't been the most common spoken form for centuries)


:LOL: even if they chose -amair for the Caighdeán, it probably wouldn't make a difference as most learners would pronounce it as if it were broad anyway :LOL: JOKE :bolt: :hide:

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
I can't say I totally agree with the opinions here. I learnt Irish from my Dad, who, in turn, learnt it in school and college. His grasp of the language is excellent. He has never spoken Irish in a Gaeltacht, and his main influence is his teachers who taught him in college.

His entire grasp of the language is based on a diligence to learn,something which (I think) worked simply because he was invested in it. I spoke Irish before I spoke English. My Irish now is still quite good. I speak it at home with my Dad all the time, and though I spend less time at home now (college), it's still good.

I don't think being detached from the Gaeltacht automatically makes Irish weedy, poor whatever, though it may tend to be so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Gumbi wrote:
I can't say I totally agree with the opinions here. I learnt Irish from my Dad, who, in turn, learnt it in school and college. His grasp of the language is excellent. He has never spoken Irish in a Gaeltacht, and his main influence is his teachers who taught him in college.

His entire grasp of the language is based on a diligence to learn,something which (I think) worked simply because he was invested in it. I spoke Irish before I spoke English. My Irish now is still quite good. I speak it at home with my Dad all the time, and though I spend less time at home now (college), it's still good.

I don't think being detached from the Gaeltacht automatically makes Irish weedy, poor whatever, though it may tend to be so.


That's perfect! Your dad was diligent when he was learning Irish, he wasn't one of those who uses their "local misconceptions"of grammar and pronunciation based on their English as an excuse for poor practices. My worry was based on those learners who assume the mistakes they make in grammar and pronunciation is a feature of their own dialect. As in, "Here in X we say this and we pronounce it this way attitude".

My experience with College lecturers is they either are native dialectal speakers or they have adopted a dialect themselves.

I also don't think modern Gaeltacht Irish isn't all that its cracked up to be either!

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Gumbi wrote:
I can't say I totally agree with the opinions here. I learnt Irish from my Dad, who, in turn, learnt it in school and college. His grasp of the language is excellent. He has never spoken Irish in a Gaeltacht, and his main influence is his teachers who taught him in college.

His entire grasp of the language is based on a diligence to learn,something which (I think) worked simply because he was invested in it. I spoke Irish before I spoke English. My Irish now is still quite good. I speak it at home with my Dad all the time, and though I spend less time at home now (college), it's still good.

I don't think being detached from the Gaeltacht automatically makes Irish weedy, poor whatever, though it may tend to be so.


That's perfect! Your dad was diligent when he was learning Irish, he wasn't one of those who uses their "local misconceptions"of grammar and pronunciation based on their English as an excuse for poor practices. My worry was based on those learners who assume the mistakes they make in grammar and pronunciation is a feature of their own dialect. As in, "Here in X we say this and we pronounce it this way attitude".

My experience with College lecturers is they either are native dialectal speakers or they have adopted a dialect themselves.

I also don't think modern Gaeltacht Irish isn't all that its cracked up to be either!

Well I agree there, definitely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
Lughaidh wrote:
But Glasgow Gaelic is only a mixture of several dialects, ie. even though it's not a natural dialect it may be correct, or is it full of mistakes as Urban Irish?

The latter.

When a learner says "tha mi suas airson sin", and refuses a correction stating that it's "Glasgow Gaelic" and "a mixture of dialects", they've generally got no answer to the question "and on what island do the translate I'm up for that literally from the English?" People hide behind "dialect" and use it to avoid admitting that they're still very far from being able to claim to be a "Gaelic speaker"....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Irish
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
NiallBeag wrote:
Lughaidh wrote:
But Glasgow Gaelic is only a mixture of several dialects, ie. even though it's not a natural dialect it may be correct, or is it full of mistakes as Urban Irish?

The latter.

When a learner says "tha mi suas airson sin", and refuses a correction stating that it's "Glasgow Gaelic" and "a mixture of dialects", they've generally got no answer to the question "and on what island do the translate I'm up for that literally from the English?" People hide behind "dialect" and use it to avoid admitting that they're still very far from being able to claim to be a "Gaelic speaker"....


If anyone has other specific examples such as this one, especially in Irish, it would be useful to me for the purposes of the article.

Also, if anyone has specific examples of people who claim to be good Irish speakers but use English syntax, I'd appreciate that as well.

What I'm trying to pin down is as specific a definition as I can, particularly as the few people I know personally who claim to have Urban Irish actually do speak Irish very well, with the correct sounds and reasonably good grammar and tend, in general, to shy away from obvious Béarlachas such as the above.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1051 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group