Quote:
The "dh" in dhún
and the "gh" in ghortaigh may sound the same to you but they are slightly different. I just have an excellent ear I suppose. Keep listening Lughaidh and you may eventually learn the difference too and get the famous Rossaí musicality.
I said, but maybe you haven't read everything, that gh and dh are pronounced the same way when they are
in the same phonetic context.
Which means that ghú and dhú are pronounced the same way, dhé and ghé are pronounced the same way, ghó and dhó are pronounced the same way, etc.
Dh and gh in dhún and ghortaigh aren't exactly identical because one is followed by ú and the other by o, and since ú and o aren't pronounced in the same place in the mouth, and the mouth isn't as open in both, the preceding consonant isn't exactly the same.
If ghún and dhortaigh existed (maybe they do ; ghúna exists) they would have identical sounds to dhún and ghortaigh.