It is currently Sun 11 Oct 2026 10:01 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
Sorry for probably a silly question. I've found this word on several sites with lists of words that are (supposedly) unique to one language and don't exist in others. According to those sites, ládramhaíola means 'a wasted day, a day when you planned a lot of things, but did none'.
Now, I'm always a bit suspicious of such sites because of their inaccuracy. I'm Russian, and on many of them I've seen Russian words with the wrong spelling, wrong meaning, or ones that didn't make any sense.
So my question is: Is ládramhaíola a real Irish word and could be used by a native speaker? I know that lá is 'day' and dramhaíl is 'waste', but are they used in this combination?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 3:36 am
Posts: 247
It's not a dumb question at all. I don't think lá is normally combined to make compound words like that, but I don't have my dictionary with me. And dramhaíl means "waste", but I think of it more as refuse/garbage. So lá dramhaíola is grammatically correct, but I would interpret as "rubbish day", i.e. the day you put the refuse out to be collected! But let's see what others say.

_________________
賢いふくろぐま Image
Seans Eile - free software to help you practice your Irish
Scéala na Wombait - Muddle-headed Memes and Musings


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
What the wombat said about "silly questions" ! :yes:

I can't find ládramhaíola (or lá dramhaíola.

Dinneen (1904) has:
Quote:
dramh-fhuigheall, -ghill, pl. id. and -ghle, m., refuse, useless remnants, what remains after the best is taken away; d. cabáiste refuse cabbage (also drabhfhuigheall, dramhghail, and drabhghail)

Dinneen (1927) also has:

d. coirce "inferior oats"
d. aráin "useless bread"
d. féir "inferior hay"
d. éisc "fish not fit for consumption"

FGB also has:

dramhaíl bhia "trashy food, remnants of food" (wonder if that can mean "leftovers" ?)
dramhaíl chainte "nonsensical talk, tripe"


Given the above, I would expect dramhaíl lae for "a waste of a day".

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
I haven't heard the word personally, but that doesn't mean it's not used somewhere.


I'd say -
"lá cuirte amú" - for a "wasted day"

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
Go raibh maith agaibh! That's really helpful. :yes:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 526 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group